Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Faith




"You are happy if you celebrated Christmas at Laribela". I've seen an speech of Ethiopian christianity's priest in TV program. There were great number of people for Christmas celebration in the ancient rock church. It was more like ancient christianity. It was an omen for me. I thought I would know what true faith is if I celebrated Christmas in Laribela. You may say I'm crazy. But It was the main reason that I've been wandering Ethiopia. There wasn't cheap air ticket from Japan. so I went to India. Because I knew how to do things in India. And It's closer to Ethiopia. It was as if God prepared my way to the place. In India I met the guy managing free school in Ethiopia. And he told me that I can stay his house in Adis Abeba the capital of Ethiopia. Ethiopia was unknown country. That's why he was big help for me. After taken 2 days and 2 buses from Adis Abeba, Finally I reached Laribela 2 days before from Christmas(Ethiopian Cristmas is 7th Jan). It was amazing place. How ancient people built such great rock churches? But I was more shocked from the other stuff. There were so many poor pilgrimages have been reached there after wandering lot of huge rock mountain. They were injured... I was always carrying medical kit in my backpack, so I went to cure them. Incredible... There was one small clinic only. My medical kit got empty in a hour. Then I went to neighbor village to get medicine and bandage. I couldn't find true faith yet.

On the Christmas eve day, there was a guy terrible injured. He was almost blind. Unblievable, How such poor blind guy has been wandering rock mountains? He had big wound on his foot. So I dressed the wound. He began to pray when I was dressing his foot. I didn't understand what he said. The other guy who spoke English told me that he said he is thankful for the mesiah has come. He was misunderstanding who I am. But finally I found what I was searching for. But he wasn't in the church. The faith wasn't in the building.

The other pictures of Ethiopia

7 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

Wow! I don't think many people visited Laribela! You are very lucky you got the opportunity to visit all those wonderful places!

3:34 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger lita said...

this is a beautiful story jerry. it's amazing how (seemingly) little things can mean so much. the kindness of strangers never fail to move me. love the pictures too : )

4:09 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Jerry, that is a beautiful and inspiring story. Congratulations on a successful pilgrimage. Wonderful photos that accompanied the tale.

6:20 AM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your comments everyone:)
there are so many laribela's side stories of mine. but this post is enough for now. i'm afraid that my blog would be more like news paper with too many words:p i'll upload them little by little.

2:42 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Jill said...

Wow... what an interesting post and what interesting pictures. I wonder if that's where the Ethiopian in Acts is from...???

11:07 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger DiaKL said...

Its so nice you always help people, especially those in need... :)

wow...Laribela must be a very interesting destination :)

5:21 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Lore said...

Really impressive and touching story!!! i have no words to say what i feel reading this post.... it's just amazing!! TRUE FAITH is really deep in your heart, but it is shown to exterior, to others in such wonderful ways....
Remarkable photos!!! remarkable story!!!

10:40 PM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home




Jerry
Location:Always moving

"Home is where the heart is" my friend said. My heart is in India even I am far from there or my body is pure Japanese. View my complete profile
Nominate Posts
  • The reason why the title is Ganga Sagar
  • Meaning of the picture in the profile
  • The Legend
  • RIVER LINKS
  • Dia
  • Lore
  • Merili
  • Peace
  • Lita
  • Sidney
  • Jill (from US)
  • Micki
  • Lx
  • David Cleinert
  • David Anderson
  • Patty
  • Kasia & Marcin
  • e2d
  • Dustin Hayes
  • A Gateway to Government of India
  • World66
  • Couch Surfing
  • World Sunlight Map
  • Lonely Planet
  • World Map