Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Joel


4 years ago, I was in Quezon City Philippine. I was volunteering for the hospice for handicapped people. I was used to play Basket ball alone during the other people taking siesta. I was playing Basket ball since Hi school. I was tall in Japan (185cm/6,2foot). That’s why head coaches of my teams always forced me to be center player. But I was a pure long shooter. I had chance for training 3 point shoot during the other people are in siesta. That day I was doing what I had repeated for million of time. One of handicapped guys came to me. His right half body was Paralyzed, and had Intelligence obstacle. He looked child, but should be around same age of mine. Many of mental handicapped people’s body never get grown well. He was used to talk to me. Actually he couldn’t speak language. But I was able to understand him. He asked me to train him 3 point shoot. He wanted to be a little hero. It was same with my situation. I was unable for any exercise. I wanted to be normal at least. That’s why I joined basketball team in my Hi school. My coach was happy for tall guy joined his team. But I was too weak, and had no body balance. I always fell down to the other players. Then my coach told me I shouldn’t join their training, because it’s dangerous. Since then I was always shooting 3 point at the corner in gymnasium. People were laughing, because my shoots even couldn’t reach the ring. But there’s no way to survive under the ring for me.

The handicapped guy began to shoot. It never reached the ring. He carried the ball on his left shoulder, and threw it. It reached. But it was out of control. He simply threw the ball as if dodge ball. “No, you must make an arch” I said. He repeated it following days. People noticed what we are doing, and said “Jerry, it’s impossible”. I didn’t reply. After thousand of shoot, finally the ball passed the ring. “Ah! Ah!” he shouted. It was hot noon. There’s no audience. But he was a shooting star. He was a hero.

8 Comments:

Blogger DiaKL said...

Wonderful post man, once again I have the feeling of humanity after reading your story, its so good you help so many people. He was a hero indeed.. :)

3:33 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Patty said...

Wow...what an inspirational story! The ending made me smile & almost cry at the same time. He IS a hero. And that's truly wonderful that you believed in him.

3:33 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Truly a beautiful and inspiring story, Jerry! It reminds me that I must never give up on my son, and continue to help him to strive to be his best. Thank you!

6:02 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Lore said...

touching story and inspiring!!! if you try and try what you want to do and never give up, then you will be able to make it!!! Dreams can be truth!! And i'm pretty sure that the smile of hero, was amazing!!

11:27 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Jerry said...

you're welcome.
sometime i miss basketball. since this story, i shoot more than once from out of 3 point line at each game even coaches didnt allow it. and i lift up success one to him.

12:29 AM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger Phoenix said...

You're a good man, Jerry! :-) Been shooting at the hoops a bit myself recently, after like aeons...the ball lands plum now and then...feels good.
Your blog's all pretty now.

4:08 AM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger Sidney said...

What a beautiful story ! ! !
Nice to see you are posting again.

I am not sure about your new design. The text is a bit difficult to read with Firefox!

6:00 AM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger lita said...

another amazing story, jerry : )

9:46 AM, March 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home




Jerry
Location:Always moving

"Home is where the heart is" my friend said. My heart is in India even I am far from there or my body is pure Japanese. View my complete profile
Nominate Posts
  • The reason why the title is Ganga Sagar
  • Meaning of the picture in the profile
  • The Legend
  • RIVER LINKS
  • Dia
  • Lore
  • Merili
  • Peace
  • Lita
  • Sidney
  • Jill (from US)
  • Micki
  • Lx
  • David Cleinert
  • David Anderson
  • Patty
  • Kasia & Marcin
  • e2d
  • Dustin Hayes
  • A Gateway to Government of India
  • World66
  • Couch Surfing
  • World Sunlight Map
  • Lonely Planet
  • World Map